AOK partners with Ozarks Food Harvest, the Good Samaritan and local volunteers to provide healthy balanced snacks and meals. Menus comply with the USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Each snack includes two of the following components:
- 1 eight ounce serving of 1% milk or
- seven ounces of 100% fruit juice or
- 1 serving of grain or protein
Each meal includes:
- 1 eight ounce serving of 1% milk
- 2 vegetables (3/4 cup each) OR
- 1 fruit and 1 vegetable (3/4 cup each)
- 1 two ounce serving of protein
- 1 serving of grain equal to one slice of bread
Ozarks Food Harvest (OFH) is a food bank whose mission is to alleviate hunger in Southwest Missouri and Northwest Arkansas. OFH has three service projects, including Kids Cafe® which provides qualified recipients with delicious and nutritionally balanced food items. AOK kids not only benefit from OFH healthy snacks but are also taught the importance of good nutrition, sanitation and hygiene, as well as given the opportunity to learn to prepare healthy menus and foods. For more information, go to www.ozarksfoodharvest.org/kidscafe.html
Established in 1967, the Good Samaritan Shop (aka Lamar Area Christian Ministries) is a non-profit organization that provides free and reduced-cost food, clothes and household items to eligible residents of Barton County Missouri. For more information, call (417) 682-5396.